Class Notes We have considerable latitude in what we study this semester. The following topics are in the course outline and must be covered:
Additional topics will be added based on student and instructor interest. You are encouraged to explore the resources and provide input for additional topics throughout the course of the semester.
- Script Programming
- Operating System Interface
- Program Execution
- User Related Tasks
- Files and Directories
- Interprocess Communication
We will cover many of the chapters listed here, but not in the order given at the beginning of the semester. This page will be updated as the semester progresses.
Notes (Order will change, this is what we did last time)
Users: Chapter 8
- Chapter 1
- Command Line Arguments
- Chapter 2 Fundamental Concepts: Read this yourself. It is an overview of the book.
- Chapter 3 System Programming Concepts
- Files and Directories Part 1
- Processes part 1.
- Chapter 6 as needed and Chapter 24
- Chapter 25
- Chapter 26
- Chapter 27
- Chapter 44
- Chapter 56 Intro to Sockets
- Chapter 57, Unix domain sockets.
- Chapter 58, TCP/IP overview
- More on Files and Directories.
- Chapter 5 File I/O: Further Details
- File Types and Attributes: Chapters 14, 15, 18, ...
Chapter 10 time
- Chapter 29 Threads Introduction
- Chapter 30 Thread Synchronization
- Chapter 31 Thread Safety and Per-thread storage
- Chapter 20 signals
- Chapter 21 Signal handlers
- Chapter 23 Timers
- Chapter 37 Daemons
- Chapter 13 File I/O Buffering
- Chapter 14 File Systems
- Chapter 28 Program Execution