I was born in Akron Ohio to Judith and Donald Bennett. I attended the Dalton
and received a diploma in 1982.
I attended the University of Akron
and Wayne College (a branch of the Akron U in Orrville Ohio) where I received
a bachelor's degree in Mathematics in 1986.
I attended Kent State University and
received a Masters Degree in Computer Science
in 1990. My adviser was Paul
Wang and my thesis was A Mathematically Oriented Graphics Package
Based on the X Window System.
From 1990 until August 2001, I was a systems administrator in the
Mathematics and Computer Science Department at Kent. During this time I
taught various classes in Mathematics and Computer Science.
In 1993 I married Michele M. Menegay. We have two children,
Rachel and Elizabeth.
In August 2001 I became an Assistant Professor at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania.
I completed a Ph. D. in Computer Science
at Kent State University in 2010. My advisers were
Dr. Paul Farrell and Dr. Arden Ruttan. My dissertation title was Tools and techniques for locating and steering parallel simulations through bifurcation points. The work involved steering, scientific visualization, scientific computation, and parallel computing.
In August 2020 I was promoted to Associate Professor.
I have an Erdös number of 4.
- 1. Vincze István
- Paul Erdös and István Vincze. "On the Approximation of Convex, Closed Plane Curves by Multifocal Ellipses." Journal of Applied Probability, vol. 19, 1982, pp. 89-96.
- 2. Richard S. Varga
- George Csordas, Richard S. Varga and István Vincze. "Jensen polynomials with applications to the Riemann ζ-function." Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 153.1 (1990) pp. 112-135.
- 3. Arden Ruttan
- Arden Ruttan and Richard S Varga. "A Unified Theory for Real vs Complex Rational Chebyshev Approximation on an Interval" Transactions of the American Mathematical Society Vol. 312 Iss. 2 (1989) pp. 681 - 697
- 4. Dan Bennett
- Dan Bennett, Cara Stein, Paul A. Farrell and Arden Ruttan. "A Steering and Visualization Toolkit for Distributed Applications", The Proceedings of the 2006 International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications (PDPTA'06 ), pp 451--457.
I have a (semi, through TV) Bacon number of at most 7. But it really doesn't count sice TV is not film... Oh well!
- Justin Long (1) was in Beyond All Boundaries with Kevin Bacon.
- Busy Phillips (2) was in A Case of You with Justin Long.
- Robin Swoboda (3) was in Made in Cleveland with Busy Phillips.
- Fred Griffith (4) was the host of the The Morning Exchange (a tv program) with Robin Swoboda
- Joel Rose (5) was also on The Morning Exchange with Fred Griffith.
- Don Webster (6) was on The Morning Exchange with Joel Rose, (I don't think Webster and Griffith were on together)
- I (7) was on one episode of Academic Challenge with Don Webster.