- You should have encountered most of the information in chapter
one in CSCI 125.
- But you should read chapter 1 in any case.
- We will cover parts of this chapter as we progress through
the other portions of the book.
- Some highlights
- A computer is a programmable electronic device that can store
retrieve and process data.
- A program is a set of instruction to be performed by a computer
- A programmer is a person who creates a program.
- An Algorithm is a step by step procedure that solves a problem in
a finite amount of time.
- Later we will discuss the program development cycle.
- Programming languages
- A set of rules, symbols and words used to construct a program
- C, C++, Fortran, COBOL, ...
- Computers operate on executables, or programs in machine language
- Compilers translate from programming languages to machine language
- The code written in the high level language is called source code
- Or source
- The output of a compiler is an execuatable
- An editor is a program used to put text into a file
- Read about the parts of a computer
- Read about problem solving, more on this later