Introduction to Data Analytics, DSCI 101
Welcome to DSCI 101, sections 1 and 2, Fall 2019. In this class we will take
a hands on approach to exploring the basics of data science and data analytics. This includes using a spreadsheet to perform basic analysis of moderate to large size data sets. In addition we will explore careers in the field of data science and ethical issues related to this field.
This course is approved for general education computer competency thus we will also
spend time developing skills using document preparation, presentation and spreadsheet software. In addition we will review some basic computer skills such as file management, web searching and electronic mail.
This course will be a combination of mathematics, computer skills and some basic statistics. Students are encouraged to:
- Attend class regularly.
- Ask questions.
- Do all homework.
This class meets :
- Section 1 - MWF: 1:00 to 1:50, BF Lib 114
- Section 2 - TR: 11:00 to 12:15, BF Lib 114
- 11/11/2019: There is a one week grace period, starting 11/13/2019 through 11/20/2019. You may submit any missing homework. A late penalty will be applied, but it is better than nothing.
- Due to the disparity in experience in these courses, there is an alternative class option for students with college level credit for a programming class (CSCI 130) and a statistics class. If you are interested in this option, please see me.
- I am the instructor of record for this class. Only the instructor of record can properly grade coursework and issue midterm and final grades.